Thursday, June 12, 2014

Skegness

Before I go anywhere I like to learn something about the place I will see.

I had been to Skegness many times as a girl as my parents liked the place so we would often go there.Later on when I lived in Sleaford Lincolnshire I would go for a day out to Skegness and enjoyed the day on the beach.

The pier in the 1990's as I recall it when I would go out for the day when I lived in Sleaford.


Colin had never been  to Skegness but wanted to see what it was like as part of family came from Lincolshire. His Grandfather on his Mother's side was born and lived in Spilsby Lincolnshire, a distance of just over 12 miles, so would probably have been to Skegness with his family. As a young man he may even have courted a girl friend or two along the pier.


I was surprised to learn that the railway only got to Skegness in 1873 offering people accommodation in the four hotels and refreshments along the sea front.
 History of Skegness

This is the Clock Tower in 1889
Skegness 1950's
This is the Skegness I recall from being a child.
Around 1962

Skegness in the 1960's t0 1970's
 Skegness has been known for years by the famous character the Jolly fisherman and this is his story



So how much will have changed and how much has remained the same? We will see and it will be interesting to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment